UPCOMING EVENTSView full calendar
4-H Summer of Discovery Week 7: Animals
Discover Animals! Dogs, and cats, and cows, and sheep, OH MY! You don’t have to be an “animal kid” to explore the 4-H animal programs. Take this week and learn about our animal friends and engage in another side of 4-H or delve deeper into your favorite project area. Don’t forget Utah 4-H has a virtual small animal club; give the club a try this summer. In addition, 4-H Online Fair Exhibition ideas are identified with each weekly theme. Try something new and see if you find a SPARK!
Other Resources and Activities
- Learn all about pigs and complete an ear notching activity.
- Learn all about life on a dairy farm.
- Check out these Animal Health careers.
- Learn all about the Utah 4-H Dog and Pet Advocate Programs.
- Learn all about raising backyard chickens with USU Extension.
- Take an online learning course about raising chickens from USU Extension.
- Learn all about how wool is made into clothes.
- Explore the Utah Ag in the Classroom resources to learn about any ag related topic you are interested in.
- Check out USU Extensions Youth Livestock Resources.
- Learn all about horses with these USU Horse Video Resources.
- Explore Agriculture Careers with Iowa State University.
- Learn all about the science behind your food.
- Make farm animal finger puppets.
- Make homemade dog treats.
- Use yarn to make a friendship bracelet.
- Learn all about dairy products and try your hand at making butter in a jar or ice cream in a bag.
- Make a mop stick horse.
- Check out these ideas on how to reuse your show ribbons.
- Make an adjustable rope halter.
- Braid paracord horse reins.
- Make a horse tail bag.
- Make a pvc hog waterer for shows.
- Make your own horse show outfit and model it in the 4-H Fashion Review contest or enter it into the Fair.
- Make your own livestock judging blazer and model it in the 4-H Fashion Review contest or enter it into the fair.
- Build your own dog agility course.
- Make a dog bowl stand.
- Make a water bottle piggy bank.
- Make a show blanket for your sheep or goat. http://gfwsheep.com/sheepcoats/sheep.coats.html
- Try hatching your own chicks or follow along with a virtual hatching process.
- Make a blown egg ornament.
- Practice training your dog with help from Missouri 4-H.
- Take a virtual dairy farm tour or check out these other virtual farm tours.
- Go to Thanksgiving Point Farm Country
- Watch the videos from Utah Farm Bureau for a virtual Farm Field Day.
- Take a virtual tour to an Ohio pig farm.
- Volunteer at Hoofbeats to Healing (a therapeutic equestrian facility in Saratoga Springs) or at Courage Reins (a therapeutic equestrian facility in Highland).
- Take a farm tour and learn all about dairy products at Heber Valley Artisan Cheeses.
4-H Fair Projects and Contests
Looking for a Fair project? Try something new by checking out the following Divisions and Classes where you can submit an Agricultural Fair project.
Click HERE for more 4-H Indoor Exhibit Information.
Division B - Communications and Expressive Arts:
- CLASS BA – COMMUNICATION ARTS
- CLASS BCD –PHOTOGRAPHY
Division C - Consumer and Family Sciences:
- CLASS CB – CLOTHING/TEXTILES/WARDROBE/MODELING
- CLASS CBA - SEWING CONSTRUCTION
- CLASS CBD – QUILTING
- CLASS CC - CONSUMER EDUCATION / PERSONAL FINANCE
- CLASS CD – HOME ENVIRONMENT / INTERIOR DESIGN
Division D - Environmental Education and Earth Sciences:
- CLASS D – ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATION AND EARTH SCIENCES
Division E - Healthy Lifestyle Education:
- CLASS E – HEALTHY LIFESTYLES EDUCATION
Division F - Personal Development and Leadership:
- CLASS F – PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT AND LEADERSHIP
- CLASS FA – 4-H PROMOTION
- CLASS FD – CLOVERBUDS (Grades K-2)
Division G: Plants and Animals:
- CLASS G – PLANTS & ANIMALS
Division H: Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math:
- CLASS HA – SCIENCE
- CLASS HE – WOODWORKING
- Livestock Bowl
- Livestock Judging
- Dairy Judging
- Horse Bowl
- Horse Judging
- Horse Public Speaking
- Horse Demonstrations
- 4-H Demonstrations
- Prepared Public Speaking
- Impromptu Public Speaking
- 4-H Portfolios and Resumes
Click HERE for Utah County 4-H Junior Livestock Program information.
Click HERE for Utah Junior Livestock Association information.
Click HERE for Utah County 4-H Horse Program information
Looking for even more ways to have fun this summer? Check out the activity kits we have available! Pickup days are Monday and Friday at the 4-H Office. Reserve yours today!