UPCOMING EVENTSView full calendar
4-H Summer of Discovery Week 8: Food Science
Discover Food Science! Food, food, glorious food. Roll up your sleeves, don your apron, and get busy in the kitchen with some fun kitchen science or hone your decorating skills. This week we explore getting creative in the kitchen with edible science, cake or cupcake decorating, and so much more. In addition, 4-H Online Fair Exhibition ideas are identified with each weekly theme. Try something new and see if you find a SPARK!
Discover 4-H Curriculums
- Learn about density using soda
- Learn about the rock cycle and make rock crystal candy
- Learn about light and make grape juice rainbows
- Make glowing jell-o
- Make magic mud
- Learn about chemical reactions and make homemade herb dough, jell-o putty, and fizzy sherbet
- Learn about decorating equipment
Learn icing techniques
- Learn how to bake a cake
- Lean the finances of cake making
- Learn how to properly display and transport a decorated cake
- Learn about kitchen tools and safety
- Make pretzel bites
- Make granola
- Make banana dips
- Learn about healthy eating
- Make play dough
- Learn about a grocery budget
- Grow sugar crystals
- Make slime
- Learn about the cleaning power of taco sauce
- Make grape juice rainbows
- Make polymer bouncy balls
- Make cornstarch goo
- Make biodegradable plastic
- Create instant freezing soda
- Make homemade ice cream
- Make jolly pops
- Make microwave hard candy suckers
- Learn about business slogans
- Make peanut clusters
- Make pretzel bites
- Learn about logos
- Learn about product costs, pricing, and profit
- Make candy melts
- Make dipped candy
- Learn about market research
- Make fudge
- Make Cream Cheese Mints
- Make candy dots
- Make homemade taffy
- Make fruity pixie sticks
- Use everything you learned to start your own candy company business
Other Resources and Activities
- Check out the 4-H favorite recipe book with Carla Hall.
- Try these cake mix remix recipes.
- Check out these meals for busy people from Utah 4-H.
- Try your hand at making some fun looking treats.
- Check out these recipes from USU Extension.
- Explore the science of food.
- Take a cooking class from USU Extensions Create Better Health.
- Take a tour of the Sweet Candy Company Factory in Salt Lake City.
- Take a cooking class at your local Harmons Grocery Store.
- Take a tour of Mrs Cavanaugh’s in Salt Lake City.
- Take a class or attend a tasting at Heber Valley Artisan Cheese in Midway.
- Check out cooking classes at your Orem Bosch store.
4-H Fair Projects and Contests
Looking for a Fair project? Try something new by checking out the following Divisions and Classes where you can submit a Food Science Fair project.
Click HERE for more 4-H Indoor Exhibit Information.
Division B - Communications and Expressive Arts:
- CLASS BA – COMMUNICATION ARTS
Division C - Consumer and Family Sciences:
- CLASS CC - CONSUMER EDUCATION / PERSONAL FINANCE
Division E - Healthy Lifestyle Education:
- CLASS E – HEALTHY LIFESTYLES EDUCATION
- CLASS ECF - CAKE DECORATING
- CLASS ECG- DECORATED CUPCAKES
Division F - Personal Development and Leadership:
- CLASS F – PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT AND LEADERSHIP
- CLASS FA – 4-H PROMOTION
- CLASS FD – CLOVERBUDS (Grades K-2)
Division H - Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math:
- CLASS HA – SCIENCE
- 4-H Cooking Challenge
- Consumer Decision Making
- Fashion Revue
- Favorite Foods
- FCS Bowl
- FCS Presentation
- FCS Skill-A-Thon
- 4-H Demonstrations
- Prepared Public Speaking
- Impromptu Public Speaking
- 4-H Portfolios and Resumes
Looking for even more ways to have fun this summer? Check out the activity kits we have available! Pickup days are Monday and Friday at the 4-H Office. Reserve yours today!