UPCOMING EVENTSView full calendar
4-H Summer of Discovery Week 1: Gardening
Discover the power of gardening! This week we explore plants, develop sustainable gardening practices, and learn self-sufficiency through home gardening with “farm” to table meals. Our Discover 4-H curriculums offer a wide array of for all ages. From learning the parts of the plant for our Cloverbud members to developing an at home composting system for our Senior youth. In addition, 4-H Online Fair Exhibition ideas are identified with each weekly theme. Try something new and see if you find a SPARK!
Discover 4-H Curriculums
- Create a mini greenhouse
- Learn how to identify common seeds
- Learn about how roots and how they work by creating rainbow carnations
- Learn about roots by starting seeds in a clear jar
- Learn basic plant science
- Dissect a plant
- Learn about plant life cycles
- Learn about soil science
- Create cookie soil horizons
- Learn how to read seed packets
- Learn about Propagation
- Learn about transplanting and irrigation
- Make grow boxes
- Learn about garden design
- Learn about strawberry DNA
- Learn about careers related to plant science
- Learn plant anatomy
- See how plants process water by creating rainbow roses
- Learn about and create a plant environment
- Learn about upcycling and how it can be used in your garden
- Learn about composting
- Learn about and start seed germination
- Learn about propagation and apply it using succulents
- Learn about pollination
- Create toothbrush bee bots
- Make a pollinator-friendly garden
- Learn about MyPlate
- Make a kitchen garden
- Make a fairy garden
- Learn how to prep your planters
- Learn the parts of a seed
- Learn about seeds in fruits
- Learn about seed dispersal
- Learn how to test seeds and try it out with the paper towel test
- Learn about seed scarification and test it out
- Learn how to collect seeds and start your own seed collection
- Create seed paper
- Learn how to start seeds and transplant them
Other Resources and Activities
- Take a USU Gardening Class. Use code “spring20” for $10 off.
- Not sure when to plant your seeds? Need advice? Check out USU Extensions Gardening Help Site.
- Watch the video on the Farm Bureau Book of the Year “Henry Ford Grows A Car” and check out the Ag in the Classroom lesson that goes with it.
- Learn about photosynthesis with Purdue Extension.
- Follow @usu_smallfarms on instagram.
- As a family, learn about and eat a new vegetable in a meal each week.
- Make an upside down herb garden.
- Explore environmentally friendly garden projects.
- Make seed bombs out of recycled paper.
- Make egghead plant starters.
- Create a composting bin using worms.
- Make a pizza garden.
- Make a bee hotel.
- Make a terrarium.
- Create a 4-H Garden Journal.
- Design a basic PVC home garden drip irrigation system.
- Make a potato maze.
- Find more gardening activity ideas here.
4-H Fair Projects and Contests
Looking for a Fair project? Try something new by checking out the following Divisions and Classes where you can submit a Gardening Fair project.
Click HERE for more 4-H Indoor Exhibit Information.
Division B: Communications and Expressive Arts:
- CLASS BCAF – FLOWER ARRANGING
- CLASS BCD –PHOTOGRAPHY
Division D: Environmental Education and Earth Sciences:
- Class D - ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATION AND EARTH SCIENCE
Division E - Healthy Lifestyle Education:
- CLASS ECC - FOOD PRESERVATION
Division G - Plants and Animals:
- CLASS G – PLANTS & ANIMALS
- CLASS GCB - FLOWER GARDENING/HOUSE PLANTS
- CLASS GCC - GARDENS - FRUIT/VEGETABLE
- CLASS GCD - ORNAMENTAL HORTICULTURE
Division H - Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math:
- CLASS HA – SCIENCE
Division F - Personal Development and Leadership:
- CLASS FA – 4-H PROMOTION
- CLASS FD – CLOVERBUDS (Grades K-2)
- 4-H Cooking Challenge
- Favorite Foods
- FCS Presentation
- 4-H Demonstrations
- Prepared Public Speaking
- Impromptu Public Speaking
- 4-H Portfolios and Resumes
Looking for even more ways to have fun this summer? Check out the activity kits we have available! Pickup days are Monday and Friday at the 4-H Office. Reserve yours today!