UPCOMING EVENTSView full calendar
4-H Summer of Discovery Week 3: Healthy Living
Are you feeling the COVID-19, pounds that is? No worries, this week we are getting ourselves into shape and practicing healthy habits. Learn how to make healthy snacks, get fit with new activities, and find your center with spa and relaxation activities. Get moving with our 4 for 4-H challenge! Get moving 4 days a week for 4 weeks, log your miles walked or ran and the participant with the most miles logged in each age category wins a FitBit. In addition, 4-H Online Fair Exhibition ideas are identified with each weekly theme. Try something new and see if you find a SPARK!
Discover 4-H Curriculums
- Learn about MyPlate
- Make a variety of healthy snack recipes
- Make a recipe book
- Learn the different kitchen utensils
- Learn about proper hand washing
- Learn how to correctly measure ingredients
- Identify whole grains
- Learn oven safety
- Learn about proteins
- Learn about calcium
- Learn about exercise
- Make an activity and snack record
- Learn the importance of being physically fit
- Learn how to check your heart rate
- Learn about and practice aerobic/cardiovascular exercises
- Learn about and practice muscle strengthening exercises
- Learn about and practice flexibility and balance exercises
- Learn a few yoga poses
- Learn about bike maintenance and how to fit your bike
- Learn trail etiquette
- Learn how to apply the “M” check
- Learn about proper gear
- Learn how to ride on obstacles
- Learn about your environmental impact while biking
- Learn how to fix a flat tire and other bike repairs
- Learn about training for a mountain bike ride
- Learn bike safety and first aid
- Make body butter
- Learn about tennis ball massage
- Make bath salts
- Create a zen garden
- Make lip balm
- Make cuticle cream
- Make a brown sugar foot scrub
- Make a citrus salt body scrub
- Make homemade candles
- Create a “Happy List”
- Make homemade soap
- Learn the ABC’s of yoga
- Learn about acceptance
- Learn about dealing with bullying
- Learn about the keys to a healthy friendship relationship
- Learn about trust and reliability
- Learn about proper communication
- Learn about communication styles
- Learn how to identify and express emotions
- Learn about conflict resolution
- Learn about your love language and how to show others love according to their love language
- Create a coupon book
Other Resources and Activities
- Follow USU Extensions Create Better Healthy Utah County on Facebook to learn about healthy habits.
- Learn about stress management, thinking traps, and healthy relationships.
- Learn about ATV safety.
- Learn all about bike safety.
- Learn about mindfulness from the University of Delaware.
- Follow along with these videos to create healthy snacks for your family.
- Check out 4-H yoga.
- Make calm jars.
- Practice “Dancefit”.
- Create a family meal plan.
- Check out other healthy living activities such as creating a family bucket list, making a fruit and veggie bouquet, and much more!
- Strengthen a relationship by mailing a letter to a family member or friend..
- Start a journal to record your thoughts. Try out these journal questions if you need inspiration.
- Take a minute for mindfulness.
- Create an indoor fitness trail on a rainy day.
- Explore Utah Valley by trying out some of the 50 best hikes.
- Check out your local rec center.
- Take a family bike ride.
- Check out these healthy living apps.
- Try out the Safe UT app.
- Try out GOGA (Goat Yoga) in Saratoga Springs.
- Check out the Human Foosball, Lights, Camera, Cooking Tote, and the Spa and Relaxation Tote from Utah 4-H.
- Check out the ATV safety, Spa Kit, and Recharge curriculum from Utah County 4-H.
- Check out the sports equipment available from Utah County 4-H and try a new sport as a family.
4-H Fair Projects
Looking for a Fair project? Try something new by checking out the following Divisions and Classes where you can submit a Healthy Living Fair project.
Click HERE for more 4-H Indoor Exhibit Information.
Division A - Citizenship and Civic Education:
- CLASS A – CITIZENSHIP/CIVIC EDUCATION
Division B - Communications and Expressive Arts:
- CLASS BA – COMMUNICATION ARTS
- CLASS BB - PERFORMING ART
- CLASS BCA - ARTS AND CRAFTS
- CLASS BCAP – PAPER CRAFT
- CLASS BCD –PHOTOGRAPHY
Division E - Healthy Lifestyle Education:
- CLASS E – HEALTHY LIFESTYLES EDUCATION
Division F - Personal Development and Leadership:
- CLASS F – PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT AND LEADERSHIP
- CLASS FA – 4-H PROMOTION
- CLASS FD – CLOVERBUDS (Grades K-2)
Division G: Plants and Animals:
- CLASS GCC - GARDENS - FRUIT/VEGETABLE
Division H - Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math:
- CLASS HA – SCIENCE
- CLASS HB - TECHNOLOGY
- 4-H Demonstrations
- Prepared Public Speaking
- Impromptu Public Speaking
- 4-H Portfolios and Resumes
Check out the 4 for 4-H Healthy Living Challenge. Get activie for 4 miles a day, 4 days a week, for 4 weeks and enter for the chance to win a FitBit! Registration closes July 4th!
Looking for even more ways to have fun this summer? Check out the activity kits we have available! Pickup days are Monday and Friday at the 4-H Office. Reserve yours today!