UPCOMING EVENTSView full calendar
4-H Summer of Discovery Week 9: Space
Discover Space! Space, the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Utah County 4-H. You don’t need to be a Trekkie or a Star Wars fan to enjoy this week of learning as you discover all about space. Each Discover 4-H curriculum provides hours of fun as you explore astronomy, learn about aerodynamics and flight. In addition, 4-H Online Fair Exhibition ideas are identified with each weekly theme. Try something new and see if you find a SPARK!
Discover 4-H Curriculums
- Use balloons to explore the big bang theory
- Learn about astronomy
- Learn about mapping stars , planets, and constellations
- Learn about how stars have influenced various cultures and traditions
- Learn about binoculars and telescopes
- Design your own mission to space
- Learn about light pollution
- Hold a star party
- Learn about aerodynamics
- Make a balsa wood plane
- Make an airfoil
- Make a foam glider and deliver a payload
- Make a custom glider
- Use computers to design an airplane
- Learn about key figures in astronomy history
- Learn all about the moon
- Make a moon in a box
- Learn about moon phases and rotations
- Learn about the solar system
- Make a string and bead solar system
- Learn about stars, galaxies, and other celestial objects
- Make a pinhole sun viewer
- Learn about constellations and star gazing
- Assemble a sky wheel
- Make 3D constellations
- Learn about telescopes
- Build your own telescope
- Explore the hubble space telescope
- Make your own kite
- Learn about buoyancy
- Make aluminum foil boats
- Make bag balloons
- Learn about the physics of flight
- Make a balloon in a bottle
- Make bernoulli balloons
- Create an airfoil
- Experiment with o-wing gliders
- Have a paper airplane competition
- Learn about jets and thrust
- Make a balloon rocket
- Learn about helicopters and make one out of popsicle sticks
- Learn about orbital mechanics
- Make paper rockets
- Learn about Newtons laws
- Learn about the Coanda Effect
- Learn the principles of lift
- Make a parachute
- Learn about air density
- Make a balloon blimp
- Learn about hovercrafts and make a mini hovercraft
- Learn about helicopters and thrust
- Do an egg drop
- Do an egg launch
- Learn all about mars
- Take a simulated expedition to mars
- Learn about what astronauts eat and make your own astronaut pudding
- Learn about growing plants in space
- Learn about the scientific process
- Learn about exercising in space
Other Resources and Activities
- Make Soda Straw Rockets.
- Space Activities for Cloverbuds (K-2)
- Make your own lightsaber.
- Try out the Rockets to the Rescue National 4-H activities.
- Explore the Iowa 4-H and NASA space challenges.
- Try out these fun constellation activities.
- Check out the Utah Valley Astronomy Club.
- Check out this virtual field trip of the International Space Station.
- Take a virtual field trip of the Johnson Space Center in Houston, Texas.
- Learn about how STEM is driving space exploration on a virtual field trip to Lockheed Martin.
- Take a virtual field trip to the National Aviation Museum.
- Go on a “things that fly” nature walk.
- Take a virtual tour of a real airplane!
4-H Fair Projects and Contests
Looking for a Fair project? Try something new by checking out the following Divisions and Classes where you can submit a Space Fair project.
Click HERE for more 4-H Indoor Exhibit Information.
Division B: Communications and Expressive Arts:
- CLASS BA – COMMUNICATION ARTS
Division D: Environmental Education and Earth Sciences:
- CLASS D – ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATION AND EARTH SCIENCES
Division F - Personal Development and Leadership:
- CLASS F – PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT AND LEADERSHIP
- CLASS FA – 4-H PROMOTION
- CLASS FD – CLOVERBUDS (Grades K-2)
Division H - Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math:
- CLASS HA – SCIENCE
- HCA - AEROSPACE ENGINEERING
- CLASS HDA – ASTRONOMY
- CLASS HF – MAKER
- 4-H Demonstrations
- Prepared Public Speaking
- Impromptu Public Speaking
- 4-H Portfolios and Resumes
Looking for even more ways to have fun this summer? Check out the activity kits we have available! Pickup days are Monday and Friday at the 4-H Office. Reserve yours today!