UPCOMING EVENTSView full calendar
4-H Summer of Discovery Week 2: Travel
Discover Travel! Don’t let COVID keep you at home, enjoy an outing with these staycation curriculums and travel to ancient lands and cultures! Explore the pharaohs of Egypt or climb to the top of Manchu Pichu or try your hand at mummification or go on an African safari – you can do all this from the comfort of your home. In addition, 4-H Online Fair Exhibition ideas are identified with each weekly theme. Try something new and see if you find a SPARK!
Discover 4-H Curriculums
- Learn about Hieroglyphics
- Create a Cartouche
- Create your own alphabet
- Learn about the process of pyramid construction and build a sugar pyramid
- Build and fill a tomb with treasure
- Mummify apples
- Make a mummy
- Build a senet board (Egyptian game) and learn to play
- Learn about and hold an Egyptian party
- Learn about planning an international trip
- Learn about creating a trip budget
- Learn a few basic spanish phrases
- Make Lomo Saltado - A popular Peruvian dish
- Take a photo tour of the Plaza de Armas in Lima
- Make Ceviche Con Camote - A Peruvian fish dish
- Learn about the Quechua language and a few basic phrases
- Make Pollo A La Brasa - A Peruvian poultry dish
- Make Quinoa Atamalada Con Cuy - A peruvian guinea pig dish (substitute with chicken)
- Learn a few Swahili words
- Learn about grasslands, deserts, and jungles of Africa
- Create a mini grassland
- Learn about various African animals
- Learn about Egyptian hieroglyphics
- Learn about petroglyphs and make African sandpaper art
- Create African masks
- Make paper beads
- Learn about peanuts and their influence on African agriculture
- Make a peanut necklace
- Make a rain stick
- Make African drums
- Make a mancala board and learn to play
- Learn about African hunting and make spears
- Make an oasis smoothie
- Learn about how historical sites are excavated and participate in gelatin excavation or a mock dig
- Participate in pottery restoration
- Learn about Roman arches and aqueducts and practice building them
- Learn about becoming a soldier in the Republican and Imperial Roman armies
- Learn about Chinese water pumps and try making a few
- Learn how Egyptians used the Nile for transportation and try building a boat
- Learn about the legacy of Greek math and test your hand at building the Parthenon
- Learn about British catapults and test your hand at making one
- Engineer your own empire using skills you learned above
Other Resources and Activities
- Book a FREE 45 minute safari.
- Tour the pyramids with NatGeo Kids.
- Learn about Peru with NatGeo Kids.
- Tour Machu Picchu with NatGeo Kids.
- Check out the virtual tour of Machu Picchu.
- Visit the anthropology section of a museum
- Check out the Dinosaur Tote checkout kit available from Utah 4-H.
- Check out the Kiva Plank checkout kit from Utah 4-H.
- Check out the Dinosaur club kit from Utah County 4-H.
4-H Fair Projects
Looking for a Fair project? Try something new by checking out the following Divisions and Classes where you can submit a travel and cultural based Fair project.
Click HERE for more 4-H Indoor Exhibit Information.
Division A - Citizenship/Civic Education:
- CLASS A – CITIZENSHIP/CIVIC EDUCATION
Division B - Communications and Expressive Arts:
- CLASS BA - COMMUNICATION ARTS
- CLASS BB - PERFORMING ARTS
- CLASS BCA - ARTS AND CRAFTS
- CLASS BCAJ – JEWELRY
- CLASS BCAP – PAPER CRAFT
- CLASS BCBC – POTTERY/SCULPTURE
Division F - Personal Development and Leadership:
- CLASS FA – 4-H PROMOTION
- CLASS FD – CLOVERBUDS (Grades K-2)
Division H - Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math:
- CLASS HA – SCIENCE
- CLASS HBA - COMPUTER TECHNOLOGY
- CLASS HC – ENGINEERING
- CLASS HF – MAKER
- FCS Presentation
- 4-H Demonstrations
- Prepared Public Speaking
- Impromptu Public Speaking
- 4-H Portfolios and Resumes
Looking for even more ways to have fun this summer? Check out the activity kits we have available! Pickup days are Monday and Friday at the 4-H Office. Reserve yours today!